Research and Resources
This is a living list of recommended research and books related to gender and journalism that we are continuously updating as we find others. Have a resource you want to share? Add it in the comments section or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- New Entrepreneurs: New Perspectives on News – J-Lab’s New Media Women Entrepreneurs Initiative (2009). A study on how women are interacting with, creating and consuming the news.
- Global Media Monitoring Project – WACC (1995-2010). Reports on gender representation in the world’s news media. (Read our post on numbers from the 2010 report here.)
- The Gender Gap: Women Are Still Missing as Sources for Journalists – Project for Excellence In Journalism (2005). A study on news source gender.
- Newsroom Census – American Society of Newspaper Editors. Annual statistics on race and gender in American newsrooms. (Read our post on the 2011 census here.)
- Media Report to Women. A quarterly newsletter covering women and media.
- Women in Media 2006: Finding the Leader in You – Media Management Center at Northwestern University. A look at the ways women are breaking ground and how they can contribute in a changing industry.
- The Global Report on Women in the News Media – International Women’s Media Foundation. (March 2011) (Read our post about this study here.)
- The silencing crime: Journalists and sexual violence – Committee to Protect Journalists. (June 2011) (Read our post about this special report here.)
- The Women’s Media Center 2015 Report on the Status of Women in US Media (June 2015). A summary of available statistical data on women and gender representations in news, literature, TV, and film. (See past reports: 2014, 2013, 2012)
- Who Narrates the World: The OpEd Project Byline Report – The OpEd Project (2012) A look at op-ed writing at legacy, new and college media (Read our post about this study here.)
- Gender Gap Report – The 4th Estate. A look at the 2012 election coverage.
- Global research project investigates violence against women journalists – International News Safety Institute and International Women’s Media Foundation. (2013). Full report: Violence and Harassment against Women in the News Media
- The Edge of Change: Women in the Twenty-First-Century Press – Edited by June O. Nicholson, Pamela J. Creedon, Wanda S. Lloyd and Pamela J. Johnson (2009)
- The Good Girls Revolt: How the Women of Newsweek Sued their Bosses and Changed the Workplace – By Lynn Povich
- The Palgrave International Handbook of Women and Journalism – Edited by Carolyn Byerly
- Journalistas: 100 Years of the Best Writing and Reporting by Women Journalists – Edited by Eleanor Mills with Kira Cochrane (2005).
- Women and Journalism – By Deborah Chambers, Linda Steiner and Carole Fleming (2004).
- Women and Journalism – By Suzanne Franks (2013)
- Women and Media: A Critical Introduction – By Carolyn Byerly and Karen Ross (2006).
- Women, Men, and News – Edited by Paula Poindexter, Sharon Meraz and Amy Schmitz Weiss (2008).